Getting a tattoo is a huge commitment but also an amazing experience that, when done properly, will leave you with a beautiful piece of art that will last a lifetime.
However sometimes trying to settle on a design and style can be a tough decision, and with so many options out there, this process can be quite overwhelming. You want your tattoo to represent who you are, your uniqueness and your personality.
Whether you like the pin-up designs of traditionalism, the colours of watermark or the hard edges of geometric designs, there’s a tattoo out there for you.
To help you on your search, we have put together the top 11 most popular styles that will be sure to help you decide which one is just right.
- Traditional: Traditional tattoos are a Western and Classic American style and are one of the most well-known and beloved aesthetics. This style is known for their bold outlines, solid bright colours and iconic designs. The most common designs within the traditional style are Native American, Pin-Up Girls, Mermaids, Swallows & Sparrows, Hearts, Anchors, Eagles, Navy and Armed Forces Symbols, Daggers, Roses, Gypsy’s.They’re beautiful right from the start and if taken care of properly will last a long time without having to be touched up.
- Realism: Realism tattoos are some of the most compelling types of body art and are a step above ordinary tattoos. This technique of tattooing takes years of practice to master and involves turning photographs and real-life images into replicas of art on your body. These lifelike tattoo designs feature a three-dimensional design that gives the image substance and aesthetic appeal on your body. This style allows you to get a custom tattoo that looks like a masterpiece and outshines other alternatives. Types of realism tattoos include portraits, angels, animals and flowers.
- Geometric: Geometry focuses on patterns and shapes found in the natural world. Based on the most basic of shapes, geometric tattoos are anything but! Squares, circles, triangles, and polygons come together in abstract images, mandalas, or low-poly models. There is no limit to the possibilities. These designs are incredibly detailed and delicate and are ideal for those who want to show a love of beauty while recognizing the set rules of nature which surround us. Designs included in this group are the Flower of Life, Metatrons’s Cube, Nautilus Shell, Ouroboros & Mandala and Mathematical patterns.
- Trash Polka: This style combines realism and trash, and offers a unique, bold style choice. Originating in Germany, trash polka takes traditional art and collages it with smudges, smears, and words, to create a one of a kind style. This bold style stands out on its own; with much of the work done in black and grey. The artist then uses red accents to really make a statement with this piece.
- Oriental: Oriental tattoos have a distinct and unmistakable look, making them perhaps the most easily recognizable tattoos around the world. Japanese tattoos typically come in a mix of black-and-grey and colours, though there are also designs that come in full black-and-grey. The main piece of the design is rooted in Japanese culture with the most popular designs being dragons, tigers, koi fish, geishas, samurai, phoenix, and kabuki masks, with cherry blossoms and lotus flowersused to compliment the main design.
- Mandala: A Mandala represents patience, love, balance and eternity. Mandalas occupy a place of great significance in human existence as they are the shape of celestial bodies like the Sun, the Earth and the Moon. Mandalas are well suited for the forearm, chest and back. Mandalas are either done in traditional black and grey or with a wide array of vibrant colours and are great for people who believe in spirituality as they stand for meditation and focus.
- Tribal: Tribal tattoos are the oldest styles of tattoos in the world, dating back thousands of years. Many of the tattoo styles we are familiar with today were rooted in tribal tattooing in one form or another. They began as a style that was unique to a particular culture or sub-culture, however, the tribal tattoo in modern culture is purely aesthetic and are a blend of traditional Maori, Polynesian, and Samoan tattoo styles.
- Neo-Traditional: Neo-Traditional tattoos are an evolution of the Traditional style. It features the core properties of the Traditional style, such as black lines and classic colour palette, but has an illustrative modern flare to it. Pieces done in this style are known for their decorative details and use of imagery such as flowers and animals, with some artists incorporating 3D elements and neon colours. Neo traditional tattoos are a great option for someone looking to get a bold classic tattoo look but wants a dynamic design with modern appeal. Its old world meets new.
- Line Work: Line Tattoos are simple yet striking. Sometimes simple is better. Every tattoo is made of lines, but there are those that aren’t clothed in pretty colours and shading such as line tattoos. This style includes: heartbeat tattoos, abstract tattoo designs and drawings made of one cursive line, such as animal outlines. A lot of linework tattoos are small so the pain factor is less of an issue and those who get tattooed will only feel slight discomfort.
- Watercolour: Watercolour tattoos are created in much the same way as regular tattoos, with the only difference being the technique used in the creation. Traditional tattoos are made up of many areas of solid colours and outlines that are all merged together to form one larger image. Whereas watercolour tattoos are created with a much more gradual colouring that looks as if the tattoo has been rendered with a paintbrush dabbled in watery pastel colours. Common themes of many popular watercolour tattoos range from designs of paint splatters right through to full-blown duplicates of watercolour paintings.
- Script: Most people have mottoes or phrases that inspire, encourage or remind them of someone or something special and script tattoos are the best way to ensure those words and memories are never forgotten. Script tattoos are some of the most popular and on trend forms of tattoos, due to their delicate and cursive designs. Script tattoos are beautiful and very symbolic and can be tailored to showcase the bearer’s personality.
At Celebrity Ink we have artists that specialise in every style, why not contact us to book a consultation for your next tattoo.